Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The LS Top 50

After reading The Hockey News' version of their top 50 projected players for the upcoming 07-08 season, along with The Puck Stops Here and Spectors take-offs, I felt obliged to create a list of my own. However, just cause I'm different, I've decided to divide the top 50 in 3 categories. The top 25 forwards, the top 15 defensemen and the top 10 goaltenders.

In retrospect, I've obviously chosen different criterea from the others, in order to formulate this list of the top 50 complete packages for the upcoming season.

You'll see what I mean.



Forwards

1. J. Thornton, SJ
2. Alfredsson, Ott
3. Heatley, Ott
4. Crosby, Pgh
5. Vanek, Buf
6. Spezza, Ott
7. Datsyuk, Det
8. Iginla, Cal
9. Zetterberg, Det
10. Jagr, NYR
11. Hossa, Atl
12. Gaborik, Min
13. Afinogenov, Buf
14. Briere, Phi
15. Lecavalier, TB
16. St Louis, TB
17. Jokinen, Fla
19. Havlat, Chi
20. D. Sedin, Van
21. Sakic, Col
22. Nylander, Wsh
23. McDonald, Ana
24. Brind'Amour, Car
25. Marleau, SJ

Defense

1. Pronger, Ana
2. Lidstrom, Det
3. Schneider, Ana
4. Timonen, Phi
5. Campbell, Buf
6. Salo, Van
7. Visnovsky, LA
8. Whitney, Pgh
9. Kaberle, Tor
10. Hamrlik, Mtl
11. Bouwmeester, Fla
12. Phaneuf, Cal
13. Gonchar, Pgh
14. McCabe, Tor
15. Rafalski, Det

Goaltenders

1. Luongo, Van
2. Brodeur, NJ
3. Backstrom, Min
4. Mason, Nsh
5. Kiprusoff, Cal
6. Dipietro, NYI
7. Emery, Ott
8. Giguere, Ana
9. Lundqvist, NYR
10. Vokoun, Fla

I suspect there will be non-believers to this list, but when the smoek clears at the end of this season, I will re-hash these names to show you how accurate I may or may not be.